Teaching takes place in two semesters – both with an eleven week teaching period followed by a formal assessment period. You must register for classes before the beginning of each academic year. The University’s web page on Registration provides detailed information about how to register.
Semester 1 begins with induction week on Monday 11th September 2017, during which you will have pre-term registration and welcome meetings. The normal course timetables and teaching start the following week. The second semester begins with a consolidation week on Monday 9th January 2018 and the course timetables and teaching start during the following week. You can consult the class timetables to find the timetable for a particular class. To work out where lectures, labs and tutorials are held, you will need to understand the University Building Codes that are used to describe the locations of rooms, and you may need to consult the University Campus maps. You will also need to be able to understand the week numbers that are used on the central timetables so please consult the 2017-2018 Week Labels. In general you must attend all of the lectures associated with each class as well as one computer lab or one tutorial. In addition to fixed lecture, tutorial and lab times – our labs tend to be open for longer periods for unsupervised work (see lab access times) – you are expected to carry out a considerable amount of work outside fixed contact hours.
For individual class deadlines (including project deadlines) see the individual class descriptions which are accessible both via the syllabuses page as well as via the curriculum page. For exam information and exam dates see Pegasus for a personalised exam timetable in the build up to the exam period.
Term dates 2017-2018
Teaching takes place in two semesters as follows:
- 11th September 2017 – 5th January 2018
- Induction week: 11 – 15th September 2017
- Teaching period: 18th September – 2nd December 2017
- Formal assessment period: 4th December – 15th December 2017
- 8th January – 18th May 2018
- Consolidation week: 8 – 12th January 2018
- Teaching period: 15th January – 30th March 2018
- Spring holiday period: 2nd April – 13th April 2018
- Formal assessment period: 16th April – 18th May 2018
The University is CLOSED on the following dates:
- 25th September 2017
- 23rd December 2017 – 3rd January 2018
- 30th March, 2nd April 2018
- 7th, 28th May 2018
- 13th, 16th July 2018
Extracted from The University’s Calendar of Key Dates
Examination Boards will take place on the following dates:
- Honours/Integrated Masters Examination Board (for years 4 and 5), 18th May 2018 – date to be confirmed
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June 2018, date to be confirmed (this makes provisional recommendations which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June 2018, date to be confirmed (this considers examination results from the January and May examination diets)
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, during August 2018, date to be confirmed (this makes provisional recommendations from the August examination diet which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, during August 2018, date to be confirmed (this considers examination results from the August examination diet)
Dates on this page should be confirmed via the Key Dates pages.