Teaching takes place in two semesters – both with an eleven week teaching period followed by a formal assessment period. You must register for classes before the beginning of each academic year. The University’s web page on Registration provides detailed information about how to register.
During the week before the teaching in the first semester officially begins, you will have pre-term registration and welcome meetings. The normal course timetables start on Monday 19th September 2016. The second semester course timetables start on Monday 16th January 2017. You can consult the class timetables to find the timetable for a particular class. To work out where lectures, labs and tutorials are held, you will need to understand the University Building Codes that are used to describe the locations of rooms, and you may need to consult the University Campus maps. You will also need to be able to understand the week numbers that are used on the central timetables so please consult the 2016-2017 Week Labels. In general you must attend all of the lectures associated with each class as well as one computer lab or one tutorial. In addition to fixed lecture, tutorial and lab times – our labs tend to be open for longer periods for unsupervised work (see lab access times) – you are expected to carry out a considerable amount of work outside fixed contact hours.
For individual class deadlines (including project deadlines) see the individual class descriptions which are accessible both via the syllabuses page as well as via the curriculum page. For exam information and exam dates see Pegasus for a personalised exam timetable in the build up to the exam period.
Term dates 2016-2017
Teaching takes place in two semesters as follows:
- 12th September 2016 – 6th January 2017
- Teaching period: 19th September – 2nd December 2016
- Formal assessment period: 5th December – 16th December 2016
- 9th January – 19th May 2017
- Teaching period: 16th January – 31st March 2017
- Spring holiday period: 3rd April – 14th April 2017
- Formal assessment period: 17th April – 19th May 2017
The University is CLOSED on the following dates:
- 26th September 2016
- 23rd December 2016 – 3rd January 2017
- 14th, 17th April 2017
- 1st, 29th May 2017
- 14th, 17th July 2017
Extracted from The University’s Calendar of Key Dates
Examination Boards will take place on the following dates:
- Honours/Integrated Masters Examination Board (for years 4 and 5), during May 2017 – date to be confirmed
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June 2017, date to be confirmed (this makes provisional recommendations which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June 2017, date to be confirmed (this considers examination results from the January and May examination diets)
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, during August 2017, date to be confirmed (this makes provisional recommendations from the August examination diet which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, during August 2017, date to be confirmed (this considers examination results from the August examination diet)
Dates on this page should be confirmed via the Key Dates pages.