Teaching takes place in two semesters – both with an eleven week teaching period followed by a formal assessment period. You must register for classes before the beginning of each academic year. The University’s web page on Registration provides detailed information about how to register.
Semester 1 begins with induction week on Monday 13th September 2021, during which you will have pre-term registration and welcome meetings. The normal course timetables and teaching start the following week. The first semester ends on 17th December 2021. The second semester begins with a consolidation week on Monday 10th January 2022 and the course timetables and teaching start during the following week. The second semester ends on 20th May 2022.
You can consult the class timetables to find the timetable for a particular class. To work out where lectures, labs and tutorials are held, you will need to understand the University Building Codes that are used to describe the locations of rooms, and you may need to consult the University Campus maps. You will also need to be able to understand the week numbers that are used on the central timetables so please consult the 2021-2022 Week Labels. In addition to fixed lecture, tutorial and lab times – our labs tend to be open for longer periods for unsupervised work (see lab access times) – you are expected to carry out a considerable amount of work outside fixed contact hours.
For individual class deadlines (including project deadlines) see the individual class descriptions which are accessible both via the syllabuses page as well as via the curriculum page. For exam information and exam dates see Pegasus for a personalised exam timetable in the build up to the exam period.
Term dates 2021-22
Teaching takes place in two semesters as follows:
- 13th September 2021 – 17th December 2021
- Induction week: 13th – 17th September 2021
- Teaching period: 20th September – 3rd December 2021
- Formal assessment period: 6th December – 17th December 2021
- 10th January 2022 – 20th May 2022
- Consolidation week: 10th – 14th January 2022
- Teaching period: 17th January – 3rd April 2022
- Spring holiday period: 4th April – 15th April 2020
- Formal assessment period: 18th April – 20th May 2022
The University is CLOSED on the following dates:
- 27th September 2021 – bank holiday
- 24th December 2021 – 4th January 2021 – Winter vacation
- 15th April, 18th April 2022 – Easter weekend
- 2nd May 2022 – bank holiday
Examination Boards will take place on the following dates:
- Honours/Integrated Masters Examination Board (for years 4 and 5), Mid-May.
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June (this makes provisional recommendations which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, late May/early June (this considers examination results from the January and May examination diets)
- Pre-Board A for years 1-3, during late August / early September (this makes provisional recommendations from the August examination diet which are presented later to General Board A)
- General Board A for years 1-3, during late August / early September (this considers examination results from the August examination diet)
Dates on this page should be confirmed via the Key Dates pages.